1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped (add more or reduce depending on the amount of heat you can take)
1 green chilli, sliced for garnish (optional)
2 garlic cloves
1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed and chopped
1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
1 tbsp. ground turmeric
5-6 baby aubergines cut in half or 1 large chopped
1-2 tbsp. olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 tsp. palm sugar
1 tsp. fish sauce
300 ml Coconut drink or canned Coconut Milk
200 ml vegetable stock
Bunch of coriander to garnish
1. In a blender add the chilli, garlic cloves, lemon grass and ginger, pulse to make a paste, set aside
2. Rub the aubergine with the turmeric, heat half the oil in a frying pan, then add the aubergine, brown both sides then set aside.
3. In a wok or deep pan add the rest of the oil then cook the shallots for a few minutes, add the paste, palm sugar cook for another minute or two, then add the aubergines, the fish sauce, coconut drink and vegetable stock
4. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes. The sauce should reduce but you don’t want the aubergine to go completely mushy.
5. Serve with rice, garnish with the coriander and the extra chilli if you want it!